CONFIDENTIALITY OF LIBRARY PATRON RECORDS
1. The Cold Lake Public Library supports every patron’s right to have his or her library records remain confidential.
2. Library records include patron registration data, circulation records, overdue, ILL and reserve/hold records, participation in library sponsored programs, record of library visits, record of internet usage and / or any data that contain information that links a specific patron to specific materials or services used.
3. Each patron, excluding children under 12 and all secondary family cardholders (please see family membership for details), has individual control over his or her library card and presentation of the card permits access to information about the borrower’s current circulation record.
4. Except during the actual period of transaction (circulation, maintenance of record on unpaid fines, reservation of materials), the library will not maintain a record of transactions. When no longer needed for library administration purposes, records will be expunged.
5. In compliance with the FOIP Act, no information will be released to any person, agency or organization, except in response to a valid court order or subpoena, properly presented to the library administrator.
6. Nothing in this policy shall prevent authorized library personnel from using library records in the administration of their regular duties.